Welcome to the personal homepage of
Russell W. Behne Sr.
Self-hosted on my home Linux box
Good news: The Gopher server is up and running now! Scroll down to the Gopher section and read the note on how to access gopherspace from your computer. I used to run a gopher server many years ago, back when dinosaurs roamed the Earth and the Internet wasn't yet invented by Al Gore. ;-) Enjoy the nostalgia!
- We have frequent power outages here in the Philippines that range from
1 minute to 12 hours, and they happen unexpectedly, so if this and
the other servers hosted here (Library, Genealogy, Gopher, FTP, etc.,) aren't available it
means I have no power. Check back hourly.
- If this server is up, but others (the library or
genealogy server) are down, it's because I'm forced to manually
restart those other servers after a power outage, and haven't noticed they're down yet,
(Text or Viber me if you're impatient). I'm working on a respawning script to keep
them up & running automatically, but so far it won't work right.
- Library: The library now has
over 22,643 eBooks at this writing (July 1, 2016), and I
have a growing backlog of more than 50,000 eBooks which I'll add as I find time to
process them. If there's a certain eBook topic you'd like to see
added soon just PM me on Facebook, or email me with the details and
I'll try to expedite their inclusion. (...eBook donations uploaded to the FTP server are always welcome.)
- Language Learning Packs can be found in the FTP server.
- Your thanks: If you
appreciate all the unpaid labor I'm going through to provide
educational resources then please say so on my FB page or by PM.
Let me know what you think.
(As always, money donations are always welcome!)
eBook library. Borrow a book. Donate a book. (Donate books by
uploading to the FTP server.)
To get started check out
You can find eBook readers for your system here, be sure to get one which can read EPUB and PDF format books at minimum:
Select your operating system:
Proofreaders needed! Want to help out? It's easy! Just
note any discrepancies in the database and report them to me
- book title as listed in
- what the error is, e.g.;
wrong metadata, description is for the wrong book, wrong language,
Additional Library features:
Stay informed when new books are added to my
eBook lending library.
Patrick Moore's Practical Astronomy Series of books has been moved into the eBook library. Look for them
- My FTP
- Put book and other donations into the upload directory.(See NOTE below.)
- If asked for login info use:
- Please report any problems promptly so I know to fix it.
To upload you must use an FTP Client program:
- For Windows we recommend using the
WS_FTP application. It is free for personal use and you
can download it from download.com by entering the search key
- For Linux we recommend GFTP (free for all and preinstalled in all
distributions), which can be run from the command line by simply
- If you only want to download then your browser will work just fine.
My Gopher server
- About gopher Servers:
- Gopher servers were what we had before there were any web pages. Primitive by modern web page standards (no images, only text), but amazingly fast text file transfers! Still great for sharing plain text files. And yes, images can be provided, they just have to be listed in a menu so the user can select one to view.
NOTE: To access the gopher protocol you must use a dedicated gopher client or a web browser that supports it, (like Lynx for Windows). Firefox used to recognise the gopher protocol, and you can add gopher capability back into Firefox using this addon: OverbiteFF. Add OverbiteFF to your Firefox and you'll be able to reach GopherSpace with ease! (Works on Android too!)
Other (off-site) Gopher resources can be found here: (HEY, YOU! Read this: These are real gopher links, so you have to read and follow the NOTE in the preceeding paragraph before you can follow these gopher links!)
- What is Gopher?
- All you wanted to know about Gopher (protocol)
- Gopherpedia, the gopher interface to Wikipedia
- gopherspace.de - German Gopher Service
- U.S. Weather maps and forecasts via Floodgap Groundhog
(updates occur throughout the day)
- News and headline feeds via Flood Feeds
(updates occur daily/regularly)
- Search gopherspace using Veronica-2, (courtesy of Floodgap.)
The Behne Family Genealogy Project
If you're a relative of myself, my wife, or anyone already listed in the database, then
join up and add to our family tree!
My Amateur Radio Station, N3GHE
I've been a ham radio operator since about 1989. This page shows some of my radios and other gear.
Here's some more things I want to get installed, when I have the time:
- Personal homepage hosting:
- Using either PHPnuke or Wordpress. Right now I'm leaning towards Wordpress. Comments welcome. If your login is dave, then your URL will be:
If there's something missing that you think would be nice here just PM your ideas to me on FaceBook.
Memory stick for sale:
I have a 4GB memory stick leftover from upgrading my box to 16 Gigs of memory. Like new, hardly used.
PHP2,000 - If you want it then give me a shout.
Are you using bittorrent?
Then get Vuze
, install the "friends
" plugin, then trade keys with me.
Here's my Vuze Friends key:
Now send me yours! I'm waiting for it!
You are visitor